Below you can check out some frequently asked questions that we receive about the Independent Living program. If you have additional questions, please contact your Independent Living Coordinator.

FAQ’s about Independent Living

No! The IL program is government funded and at no cost to the participants.

If you still have an active case with the department, you would talk with your case worker about getting a referral sent in to get you started.  If you have a closed case, or are over the age of 18, you will call the IL coordinator in your area to request IL services.  The coordinator’s names and contact information is on the coordinators page under the social worker tab.

This is a bit of a trickier question, but the simple answer is, if it is tied to the IL Plan there is generally a way to get financial assistance for it.

The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) is similar to a scholarship for higher education only available to youth participating in the IL program. There is an application process where youth can be awarded up to $5,000 per year to help cover the costs of attendance not otherwise met through other funding sources. To learn more visit: Education and Training Voucher (ETV) | Idaho Department of Health and Welfare

To qualify for the ETV, youth must participate in the Independent Living program and have either aged out of foster care, or achieved permanency (through reunification, adoption, or legal guardianship) on or after their 16th birthday.

The Independent Living (IL) program is designed to help you get the skills and knowledge you’d need to be successful on your own as an adult. This is different for every youth.We’d start by assessing where you’re at with life skills, then come up with a plan together on what would be most beneficial for you and your goals.

In order the qualify for the IL program, youth must be in care for at least 90 cumulative days after their 14th birthday.  Youth must be between ages 14 and 21 for Independent Living services and 16 to 26 for the Education and Training Voucher (ETV).